I am an officer and I was passed over for promotion. What now?

If you are in this situation, you may be able to get another look from a promotion board.  If you can show that there was a material error in your personnel records or that they were missing material information when the records were reviewed by the board that decided to pass you over, you can apply for promotion reconsideration.  A material error is defined as being of such nature that had it been corrected at the time you were considered by the board that failed to recommend you for promotion, it would have resulted in a reasonable chance that you would have been recommended for promotion.  The Officer Special Review Board is the agency which decides whether or not your file should be reconsidered.  If the board decides to grant reconsideration, your file will be reviewed by a Special Selection Board (SSB).  Minor errors in your file will most likely not convince the board that your file needs to be reconsidered.  The errors need to be substantial.  For instance, if someone else’s adverse record appeared in your file at that time that the board reviewed it, that may constitute material error.  Another example might be if your Silver Star Award was missing from your file at the time of review.  These are just examples, there may be many other reasons that you could receive reconsideration.  You will not know until you look into it.  Call me and we will talk about your chances.  I will be honest and upfront with you.  I will not waste your money or your time.  To speak to an experienced court-martial and military defense attorney, call Bill Cassara at 706-860-5769 for a free consultation.

William E. Cassara- Military Law Attorney

Click to Call 706-860-5769
Scroll to Top