Military Clemency and Parole Cases

military clemency

We have represented members of all services in the clemency and parole process. All services have a Clemency and Parole Board.

The Service Clemency & Parole Board can reduce the sentence to confinement or place you on parole. Note that if you get to your minimum release date (MRD) and have good time, your release will be under the Mandatory Supervised Release Program.  Clemency is a reduction in your sentence.  Parole is release to a Federal Parole Officer. MSRP is a what I call “parole light.”  Challenges to the MSRP have been denied by both military and civilian courts. United States v. Pena, 64 M.J. 259 (2007); Banks v. United States, CASE NO. 09-3086-RDR (D.C. Kan. 25 November 2013).

Military Clemency and Parole is different than state or federal parole.  In general, a service member sentenced to confinement is eligible for consideration for clemency after serving one year of their sentence, and parole after serving one third of their sentence.  Service members sentenced to 30 or more years are eligible for parole at the ten-year mark.  Service members who did not get a punitive discharge are not eligible for parole but are eligible for clemency.  However, every service has its own rules and regulations. That is why you need an attorney experienced in military clemency and parole.

What the Boards consider

The Clemency and Parole Boards presume the service member is guilty. They will not relitigate the case. But they do look at matters in mitigation.  One of the things they consider is “acceptance of responsibility.”  This can be problematic when a service member’s case is still on appeal. That’s why you need a lawyer with experience in both courts-martial appeals and military clemency and parole.

Another thing they consider is family support, job opportunities, schooling, etc.  For a service member on the sex-offender registry (SOR) this too can be difficult.

How to prepare

In many ways the clemency and parole process can be more important than your court-martial appeal. You and your loved one need to treat it that way.  It is not a DIY project.  I have represented clients before the Army Clemency and Parole Board, the Air Force Clemency and Parole Board and the Navy-Marine Corps Clemency and Parole Board.

To speak to an experienced military clemency and parole lawyer, call us at 706-860-5769 or e-mail


  • Please provide a brief summary of your situation. If you are inquiring about an upgrade to your discharge please include what service you were in, what type of discharge you received and the date of your discharge, along with the circumstances surrounding your discharge. Thank you.

  • Disclaimer: The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

William E. Cassara- Military Law Attorney

Recent Accomplishments

Air Force Court Reverses Military Judge’s Dismissal of Sexual Assault Charge

By William Cassara | September 3, 2020

In January 2016, Senior Airman Harrington was at a party with several individuals. SSgt FC, LB, and TSgt KW were at the party as well. The group played several drinking games, including an “adult” version of Jenga. The game required individuals to perform tasks, such as removing articles of clothing […]

Read More
Navy Criminal Appeals

Navy-Marine Corps Court Affirms Assault Conviction for HIV Positive Marine

By Beth Harvey | August 20, 2020

NMCCA issued an opinion in the case of US v Lewis this week. Sgt Lewis was convicted of three specifications of failure to obey a lawful order, one specification of sexual assault by causing bodily harm, one specification of indecent viewing, and one specification of assault consummated by a battery. […]

Read More
caaf army

Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces Limits the Use of Prior Statements at Trial

By William Cassara | July 14, 2020

Military rules of evidence generally do not allow hearsay statements to be admitted at trial. Hearsay statements are statements made outside of court that are offered as proof of the substance of that statement. There are several exceptions to the hearsay rule, such as statements included in regular business records. […]

Read More
Click to Call 706-860-5769
Scroll to Top