If my pay is forfeited as a result of my Court-Martial, what happens to my family?

If you are convicted of a crime at a court-martial, it is very possible that your military pay will be forfeited.  If you have a family to care for, this could be devastating.  In fact, for many of my clients facing a court-martial, this is one of their biggest concerns.  Here is a bit of good news.  The convening authority of a court-martial has the power to waive some or all of the forfeitures of pay resulting from the court-martial so your family can receive money for up to six months following your conviction.  This can make all the difference in the world to a family in this difficult situation.  Additionally, it can help to ease the mind of a Soldier, Sailor or Airman faced with a forfeiture of pay after a court-martial.  However, the convening authority of a court-martial is only going to grant this type of waiver for a family if the individual convicted is able to demonstrate why his family needs and deserves the money.  In other words, a Soldier, Sailor or Airman in this position will need to submit a convincing written request for this type of waiver.  I have assisted many of my clients and their families to obtain these waivers following court-martials.  If you are facing a court-martial, it is likely that you are confused and maybe even a little panicked about what the future holds.  You need someone with experience by your side to help you through this process.  I have that experience.  Please call me for help.  To speak to an experienced court-martial and military defense attorney, call Bill Cassara at 706-860-5769 for a free consultation.