Should your discharge have been based on your disability? Get it corrected.

I have encountered several clients who were discharged from the military for misconduct or some other reason, when they really should have received a disability separation or retirement.  More often than not these individuals have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) or some other mental condition.  Sometimes these conditions are not obvious at the time of discharge and become clear later while they are being processed through Veteran’s Affairs.  Sometimes Commanders just want to process the separation quickly because the individual’s behavior is becoming disruptive to the unit and the Commanders don’t take the time to recognize the apparent disability.   Sometimes, the Soldier, Sailor or Airman agrees or even requests to be separated for another reason to hide their mental condition.  If you believe you should have received a disability separation or retirement, there is something you can do to try to correct this.  The Board for Correction of Military Records has the authority to correct discharge records to show a disability separation or retirement.  This board also has the authority to grant someone a disability rating or change a disability rating when appropriate.  I have a great deal of experience assisting clients to submit requests to the Board for Correction of Military Records.  Please call me if you would like to explore this further.  Also, if you are currently pending a discharge and need advice, please call me, I am here to help.  To speak to an experienced court-martial and military defense attorney, call Bill Cassara at 706-860-5769 for a free consultation.

William E. Cassara- Military Law Attorney

Click to Call 706-860-5769
Scroll to Top