What is an advisory opinion to the Board for Corrections and what should I do if I am notified of one?

If you are looking to correct something in your military records, you may be thinking of applying or maybe you already have applied to your service Board for Correction of Military Records.  There are three of them, representing the Army, Navy and Air Force.  I have an enormous amount of experience assisting servicemembers, retirees and family members of veterans in applying to this board.  When I apply to these boards on behalf of someone, I file a substantial brief along with the application.  Sometimes after an application is submitted, the Board will request an “advisory opinion” from the appropriate service staff element.  For example, the Board might request an “advisory opinion” from the personnel office.  That element will then review your application and other relevant documents and will submit written advice to the Board.  The Board will then refer the “advisory opinion” to the applicant allowing the applicant a chance to respond.  Depending on what the opinion says, it may be important for the applicant to address its contents.  I have a great deal of experience drafting formal rebuttal comments to advisory opinions on behalf of my clients.  If you feel that an error or injustice has occurred and your military records need to be changed give me a call. There is no need to do it alone.  I have a great deal of experience in this area and can represent you through each step.   To speak to an experienced court-martial and military defense attorney, call Bill Cassara at 706-860-5769 for a free consultation.

William E. Cassara- Military Law Attorney

Click to Call 706-860-5769
Scroll to Top