How do I apply for a discharge upgrade?

The first step is to get copies of all of your military records. To get a copy of your military records, complete the SF-180, Request Pertaining to Military Records, (Fillable SF 180). You can go to this link, type in the information while the form is on screen in your browser, and then print out a neatly typed form to be mailed! YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE ADOBE ACROBAT READER installed on your computer.

Once you have acquired a copy of your military records, you will need to fill out an Application for the Review of Discharge, DD Form 293, and submit it to the proper service. We recommend consulting with an attorney who is experienced in military discharge upgrades prior to completing the form and submitting it.