What is the difference between a locally filed letter of reprimand and a reprimand filed in the performance section of the OMPF?

There is a big difference.  If a reprimand is filed in your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF), it stays in there permanently unless it is later removed.   If a reprimand is filed in your local file or your Military Personnel Records Jacket (MPRJ), consider yourself fortunate.  This means that you were warned in writing and this warning will not remain in your personnel record.  In other words, when you move to your next duty station, this letter will not follow you.  If a reprimand is filed in your OMPF, you may have difficulty being selected for promotion or receiving other favorable treatment.  Once a reprimand is filed in your OMPF it is considered “administratively correct.”  Despite this, you really need to consider trying to have this reprimand removed from your OMPF if you want to progress in the military.  Each of the services have boards that are set up specifically to reevaluate whether that type of “bad paper” should be removed from your file or stay in your file.  The appeals to these boards are typically restricted to E-6 and above.  When filing an appeal, you can ask that the reprimand be removed altogether or be transferred to your local file.  You may argue that the reprimand was issued in error or it was issued unjustly.  In doing so, you will need to provide convincing evidence that this is the case.  You may also argue that the reprimand should be transferred into your local file because it has served its intended purpose.  You may show that it has served its purpose by showing that you have been punished by it and that you have since served honorably.  In other words, you may show that the warning was successful and you turned yourself around.  I have a great deal of experience and success submitting appeals to these boards.  I can try to help you too.  If you call me early enough, I may even be able to convince your command to file your reprimand locally or even rip it up, instead of filing it in your OMPF.  Call me now.  It may make all the difference in the future of your career.  To speak to an experienced court-martial and military defense attorney, call Bill Cassara at 706-860-5769 for a free consultation.